Here are some of the main reasons why test prep for the NCLEX is essential:
- Increase your chances of passing the exam. The NCLEX is a challenging exam, and proper preparation can help you increase your chances of passing.
- Learn the test format and style of questions. As mentioned, the NCLEX is a computer-adaptive test, which means that the difficulty of the questions you are asked will increase or decrease based on your performance. It is important to be familiar with the test format and style of questions to answer them correctly.
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses. By taking practice tests and reviewing your results, you can identify the areas where you need to focus your study time. As an international nurse, certain areas of the NCLEX and test-taking process may be unfamiliar or uniquely challenging. During preparation, you can identify these areas and create targeted study strategies to succeed.
NCLEX Academy by PassportUSA
PassportUSA is committed to providing international nurses with the resources to pass the NCLEX and confidently find work that fulfills them. That is why we offer extensive NCLEX study resources, including our partnership with ATI Nursing Education. ATI is a hub of NCLEX preparation resources that includes practice exams, sample questions, virtual test coaching, and more. Through this partnership, PassportUSA offers our nurses complete access to exam prep materials that can be tailored to study strategies that work for them.
Support You Get with an Agency Versus Alone
By working with an agency for NCLEX preparation, international nurses benefit from an extensive support network that provides coaching, resources, and financial help when needed. Some of the key advantages to working with an agency include:
- Expertise - Healthcare agencies like PassportUSA have professionals who are familiar with the NCLEX and can give you resources to prepare for the exam. For international nurses, this support helps alleviate the stress of taking and passing a difficult exam not in their native language.
- Personalized attention - Healthcare agencies can provide personalized attention and help you develop a study plan that meets your needs.
- Resources - Healthcare agencies have access to a variety of test preparation resources. At PassportUSA, our partnership with ATI gives you access to a hub of test prep materials and practice exams to help you succeed.
Test Prep Strategies
When it comes time to start studying for the NCLEX, you need to find a strategy that works for you. From crafting a study plan to connecting with other candidates and forming a study group, here are some test prep strategies to remember.
Creating an Effective Study Plan
Start by creating an effective study plan for the NCLEX. Make a schedule for your studying and factor in breaks where you can reset and refocus. Then, consider the resources you have available (like study guides and practice exams), and list how you want to review the material.
You can divide your studying by concepts if it helps break down the material. For example, spend a week on care management, then move to infection control, mental health, and so on. As you study, take note of areas where you struggle so you can make time to review these concepts more and ensure the information sticks.
Essential Study Material and Resources
You can use many NCLEX test resources to prepare for the exam. And, when you partner with PassportUSA, we provide you with the material and test prep tools you need to succeed. Here are some NCLEX study resources to have when you begin to prepare:
- NCLEX review books - There are many NCLEX review books available on the market. Choose a book that is comprehensive and covers all of the topics that are covered on the exam.
- NCLEX practice questions - Practice questions are a great way to assess your progress and identify areas where you need to improve. Plus, they give you an idea of how questions will be worded on the exam.
- Flashcards - Flashcards are a great way to memorize key concepts and information. Consider making a deck of cards for each section of material so you can quickly review key concepts.
- NCLEX study groups - Study groups can be a great way to stay motivated and learn from others. Find a group of students who are also preparing for the NCLEX and meet regularly to study together.
Tips and Strategies for Effective Test Preparation
With these resources in mind, here are some of our tips for effective test preparation:
- Start studying early - The NCLEX is a challenging exam, so it is important to start studying early. This will give you ample time to review the material and identify your weaknesses.
- Create a study schedule - There is no one-size-fits-all study schedule. Find a schedule that works for you and stick to it. As mentioned, you can break up different sections of the material and spend a week on each, then make time to go back and review them again.
- Take breaks - It is essential to take breaks when you are studying. This will help you stay focused and avoid burnout.
- Get enough sleep - Getting enough sleep is essential for good test performance. Make sure to get rest in the months leading up to the exam and the night before.
Review and Practice Resources
There are tons of NCLEX practice resources available to test takers, so take advantage of what is out there. Here are some exam prep tools to keep in mind.
Online and Offline Practice Test Options
Practice tests are a great way to prepare for the NCLEX because they give you an idea of the question styles and materials. You can print off practice tests and take them by hand or explore online options that let you take the exam on a computer.
Utilizing Mobile Apps for Preparation
There are tons of mobile apps available designed for NCLEX prep. Applications like Nursing.com and NCLEX Mastery are easy to download and give you thousands of practice questions to review. Because mobile apps are easy to access, you can study from anywhere. If you find yourself with extra time on your hands, simply open the app and start reviewing!
Finding a Support System: Study Groups and Online Communities
Having the support of fellow nursing students can make all the difference. Look for study groups in your community or connect with other international nursing students preparing for the NCLEX. Then, schedule a time to meet in person and quiz each other. Having the support of fellow nurses is a great way to stay motivated while you prep for the test.
Next-Gen NCLEX Prep Centers Around the World
If you are not located in the U.S., you can still find NCLEX prep courses and classes around the world. The team at PassportUSA can help you find exam prep resources near you so you can get the support you need to do your best.
Online Test Prep Centers
If there is no NCLEX prep center near you, explore online test prep centers. Many online resources, classes, and study groups are available to nursing candidates. Plus, having an online option is convenient since all you need is a computer and Internet connection.